Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shirley Offline

News Article on charges in the torture-murder
Daily News
Man, 18, charged in Lancaster arson-slayings
By Karen Maeshiro, Staff Writer
İmageCorey King İmageSonya Durfield

İmageEbany Horton, 14 İmageMelinda Harris, 12 İmageKayla Clark, 9

LANCASTER - Prosecutors charged an 18-year-old man Friday with the slayings of a Lancaster woman and her three daughters, a crime for which he could face the death penalty if convicted.

Corey King was charged with killing Sonya Evette Durfield, a 43-year-old surgical technician, and her three daughters, 14-year-old Ebony Horton, 12-year-old Melinda Harris, and 9-year-old Kayla Clark, whose bodies were found Tuesday by firefighters in their burning home in Lancaster.

"It is an awful, unimaginable crime followed by an arson in an attempt to burn the bodies," Deputy District Attorney Michael Blake said outside court.

King's attorney, Deputy Public Defender Michael Allensworth, declined to comment.

King, who has addresses in Altadena and Lancaster, also was charged with arson, grand theft auto, and special allegations of multiple murder and torture of two of the victims. It was alleged that King used a knife to slay Durfield and two of her children.

Coroner officials said Durfield and one older daughter had been beaten and slashed or stabbed to death, the second older daughter was stabbed to death and the youngest was strangled.

The special allegations make King eligible for the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole if he is convicted.

King, described as a friend of Durfield's adult son, made his first court appearance Friday in Antelope Valley Superior Court for his arraignment,
Advertisement
Click Here!
which was put over to Oct. 10 to allow defense attorneys more time to research the case.

Wearing a yellow jail jumpsuit, King answered firmly, "Yes, sir," in response to questions posed to him by a court commissioner about waiving his rights to have a preliminary hearing and trial within the statutory time.

The victims' relatives and friends of the defendant were on hand for the hearing.

"We can't express how we are feeling right now," said Casondra Clark, another of Durfield's daughters. "How can he take our little sisters and mother?" Durfield worked at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital in Valencia and had six children.

Zona Morales, 22, and her brother, 16-year-old Jamall Morales, said they have known King for about six years and said he was not capable of such violence.

"I think it's totally ludicrous," Zona Morales said. "He's not even violent like that."

Jamall Morales agreed, saying, "That isn't Corey at all."

He said that before King surrendered to authorities, he told him that he didn't commit the Lancaster slayings and he blamed another unidentified person.

The Moraleses said King's mother died about six to eight months ago. "When the mom died," Jamall said, "he was going through a lot of stuff."

Detectives said King was at the victims' house the night before and took a car belonging to the victims to a nearby Wal-Mart, where he shoplifted several items of clothing.

karen.maeshiro@dailynews.com 661-476-4586
13-09-2008 10:12 AM
shirley Offline

Daily News--Slain family is mourned
Daily News
Slain family is mourned; suspect held

Sonya Durfield and 3 of her daughers died in their home

LANCASTER - Sonya Evette Durfield was a fighter. A surgical technician at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, the 43-year-old single mother worked hard to provide for her six kids.

She taught her children to be strong, and was raising daughters with promising futures. One wanted to be a model and just adored Tyra Banks. Another was hoping to become a nurse. The youngest dreamed of becoming a singer or an architect.

The bodies of Durfield and three of her daughters - Ebony Horton, 14, Melinda Harris, 12 and Kayla Clark, 9 - were found Tuesday in their burning home by firefighters. Homicide detectives said the victims suffered significant trauma unrelated to the fire.

As news spread Wednesday that sheriff's deputies had arrested an 18-year-old friend of Durfield's adult son and charged him with quadruple murder, relatives of the family gathered at the home on East Avenue J-3 to grieve at a memorial of stuffed animals, flowers, cards and candles.

Surviving sisters Enisha and Casondra Clark said their siblings "were beautiful young women."

"They were beloved by anyone they knew," Enisha Clark said. "They were motivated to try new things. They were looking forward to their futures, planning out careers and college. They reminded me why life was so fun."

Friends, neighbors and strangers dropped by throughout the day to pay their respects and place items at the memorial at the base of a tree in the front yard.
Advertisement

Durfield had worked about seven years as a surgical technician at Mayo hospital in Valencia. Ebony was a freshman at Eastside High School, Melinda went to New Vista Middle School, and Kayla was a student at Lincoln Elementary School, family said.

Enisha Clark, 22, said her mother worked hard to take care of her children.

"Being a single parent today in this world is not easy," Clark said. "She was a fighter. She fought for her kids. She taught me how to be strong. That's why I'm here right now."

Sheriff's homicide investigators early Wednesday arrested Corey King, described as a friend of Durfield's adult son, on suspicion of committing the quadruple slayings.

"We believe he is responsible for the murders," Lt. Pat Nelson said. "He was there at the house (the night before). It's my understanding at least one other person indicated he was there until 1 or 1:30 in the morning."

No motive has been determined, Nelson said. King, who had addresses in Lancaster and Altadena, turned himself in to authorities Tuesday after seeing on the news that he was being sought, Nelson said.

King is on probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor property theft in an Antelope Valley case. He was sentenced Aug. 15 to 60 days in jail, court officials said.

He was arrested Aug. 29 by Sheriff's Department Metrolink officers on suspicion of a misdemeanor, giving false information to an officer. He was cited and released Sept. 2, officials said.

Nelson said there may have been several people at the house in the 1500 block of East Avenue J-3 at various times the evening of the killings.

Nelson said that on Tuesday King took a car belonging to the victims and drove it near a Wal-Mart, where he shoplifted clothing.

"He shoplifted clothing items. He probably felt he needed to get out of the ones he was in," Nelson said. "We did recover some clothing that had some evidence that was consistent with blood."
# VIDEO: Teen Arrested for Killings in Burned Calif. Home

Nelson said someone, whom he did not want to identify, had taken the keys to the car. King returned to the car attempting to flee from the store, but found himself locked out. He kicked in one of the car windows, but found the keys gone.

"At that point, he was seen by witnesses jumping the wall into the neighborhood, and he escaped detection for several hours," Nelson said.

"Obviously it was a very brutal case. Any time that there's children involved, it's very difficult on everyone," Nelson said. "It's safe to say that the entire family was devastated. It was just a tragic, tragic event."

Doris Clark, the wife of a family cousin, said Durfield was a good mother.

"She loved her kids. She was a single parent at times.

"She took care of her kids from Day One. She lived for her kids," Clark said.

Clark's husband, Melvin Clark, expressed anger over the killings.

"It's bad for someone to kill three kids for nothing," he said. "If they wanted to kill somebody, they should've killed themselves."

Lancaster School District Superintendent Howard Sundberg said extra people were on hand at the Lincoln and New Vista campuses Wednesday to help distraught staffers and students.

"Clearly when something like that happens, ... kids are upset," Sundberg said.

Enisha Clark said she did not know King well, but had met him a couple of times. She said she was not a vengeful person, but wants whoever is responsible to be brought to justice.

"To lose my mother and three little sisters, innocent little girls," Clark said in anguish. "This person (who committed the crime) needs help."

13-09-2008 10:21 AM
shirley Offline

Daily News-----09/09/2008
Daily News
4 found dead in burning Lancaster home

Relatives and friends of victims of a house.

LANCASTER - A woman and her three young daughters were found dead in a burning Lancaster home Tuesday morning and detectives called it a quadruple homicide - the second such incident in the Antelope Valley this summer.

Los Angeles County coroner's officials did not release the names of those who died, but neighbors said a woman and her three girls lived in the one-story house in the 1500 block of East Avenue J-3.

"All four bodies did show signs of trauma. Several of the bodies did suffer some burns," Coroner Assistant Chief Ed Winter said.

Firefighters discovered the bodies after extinguishing the blaze, which broke out about 7 a.m.

"They (the bodies) were in numerous locations within the residence," Winter said.

The question of whether the victims died before the fire or as a result of it will not be determined until autopsies have been completed.

"We were able to determine that there is, in fact, a quadruple homicide," Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Pat Nelson said. "There is visible trauma to the victims inside."

Police on Tuesday were looking for a man named Cory King, who was seen at the home late Monday night. It's unclear how he might be connected to the victims.

Next-door neighbor Jose Pimental Sr. said the mother was in her mid-40s, the oldest daughter was about 13 or 14, the middle daughter about 10 and the youngest about 8.

They had been living there about four years and were
Advertisement
Click Here!
renters, said Pimental, a 71-year-old retiree. Pimental said he thought the woman worked at a hospital because of the work clothes she wore.

"I was surprised," he said. "We just thought it was a fire."

Grieving relatives assembled at the scene, and Gregory Stewart, identified as the woman's estranged husband and father of the children, told KABC (Channel 7) that the situation is a nightmare.

"I keep saying, I'm going to wake up and everybody here is going to be a part of this dream," he said.

A car belonging to the victims was found about a half-mile away from the house, sheriff's deputies said. Its front passenger window was shattered, KABC-7 reported.

KCAL (Channel 9) reported that a vehicle taken from the home was found near a Wal-Mart where a robbery occurred.

Pimental said he heard someone leave the house between 6:15 and 6:30 a.m. He said he saw smoke coming from the garage 10 to 15 minutes before 7 a.m.

"Her car was normally in the driveway," he said. "This morning, it was not there."

The night before, Pimental said he heard other people at the house, talking and laughing.

Tuesday's fatal fire was the second fire-related quadruple slaying in the Antelope Valley this summer. On June 23, the severely burned bodies of Joseph Ciganek, 60, Young Hwa Park, 39, and Park's two children, Jamie, 13, and Justin, 11, were discovered by firefighters in two bedrooms of Ciganek's home in the 43200 block of 45th Street West in Quartz Hill.

The four had been slashed and beaten to death with a samurai sword and a bat, officials said. Park was the cousin of Ciganek's wife, Jocelyn, who was away from the house and not injured during the attack.

Charged in the killings are Park's ex-husband, 39-year-old Jae Hwan Shim of Palmdale, and Tae Won Kwon, 37, of Los Angeles.

Homicide investigators said Shim was upset that his ex-wife was dating her children's tae kwon do instructor, who is missing and is believed to be a victim of foul play.

13-09-2008 10:29 AM
Lancaster resident
Unregistered

blaming this crime on Section 8.
I just read are local paper, Antelope Valley (AV Press) Press. The Mayor of Lancaster and his legislature are blaming this crime on Section 8.

Also, the names do not appear in the AV Press yet they do appear in your news article.

I do not understand why a mother (victim) would allow an 18 year old to get drunk and obnoxious at her home especially since she had 3 young girls (victims) in the home.

Lancaster once had a Mayor Hearns (African-American preacher) that invited people from Los Angeles to relocate to the Antelope Valley, they came along with their criminal behavior.
Now it is time for Mayor Hearns to speak to all these folks (mostly African-American), and tell them to start to respect our community.
I was once told by a L.A. County Sheriff and Prison guard from the local state prison that
the Antelope Valley was being referred to as "Little Compton", and as I travel about it is so true.

Sad but true far too many thugs have decided to make the Antelope Valley their home. Where are the parents because I see far to many very young people out and about late and way after curfew. Why is the curfew law not being enforced?

Explain what Section 8 has to do with this crime.
13-09-2008 01:07 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Dave
Unregistered

my heart goes out to the family
I'm white and my heart goes out to the family and community. Victims come in all colors and so do the ciminals.

I've read that the reason many blacks move to AV is because our government was allowing illegal aliens to move to the US. They moved into areas like Compton and their violence toward the black community made the decision easier to move out to AV. Illegal immigration has negetive affect on our culture because the immigrants are un-skilled and take more than they give.
13-09-2008 01:09 PM
Snarky Alhambra, CA
Unregistered

Section-8 brings bad negros
Here, I'll explain.

Section-8 brings bad negros from south central to the AV where they commit crimes.

There, that was easy wasn't it?
13-09-2008 01:11 PM
SCARYBLACKMAN
Unregistered

you dummy whites
" Snarky wrote:
Here, I'll explain.
Section-8 brings bad negros from south central to the AV where they commit crimes.
There, that was easy wasn't it?"

by your first name i can tell your last name ends in dez.the writer before me has a point we'd rather move to the middle of the desert on the San Andreas fault than be around some of you ignorant as numbskills and if your name does end in ski you are the reason why we moved to AV to challenge and chase cowards like you out of here. you dummy whites get more subsidized housing than blacks or hispanics
13-09-2008 01:15 PM
Unregistered

anti sementic jerk
"SCARYBLACKMAN wrote:
by your first name i can tell your last name ends in dez.the writer before me has a point we'd rather move to the middle of the desert on the san andreas fault than be around some of you ignorant as numbskills andd if your name does end in ski you are the reason why we moved to AV to challenge and chase cowards like you out of here. you dummy whites get more subsidized housing than blacks or hispanics"

The name ending in ski mean you're an anti sementic jerk? High school drop-out? Someone should skin your hide and use the your hair for velcro straps.
13-09-2008 01:17 PM
SCARYBLACKMAN
Unregistered

dave your a bigot
ha ha ha i'm from detroit i know dumbroski polaski zimbroski etc. haha ha you've never left LA! i've never hear of a jew with that name. i was talkin anglo-saxon german or polish haha haha shut up dummy my belly is hurting haha i graduated with a GED in 75. at 16 dumb mistake. graduated from college in 96 made up for that mistake.you're just stupid whatever education you have ! hahaha
13-09-2008 01:19 PM
Snarky Alhambra, CA
Unregistered

Anglo Saxon Protestant. Sorry.
" SCARYBLACKMAN wrote:
by your first name i can tell your last name ends in dez.the writer before me has a point we'd rather move to the middle of the desert on the san andreas fault than be around some of you ignorant as numbskills andd if your name does end in ski you are the reason why we moved to AV to challenge and chase cowards like you out of here. you dummy whites get more subsidized housing than blacks or hispanics
"

Me? White Anglo Saxon Protestant. Sorry.

Hispanics are not the problem. I lived on the east side for 2-years and almost all of the problems in the 'hood were black folks on Section-8 subsidy.

Hispanics are generally hard working and law abiding.

These awful negros from down below don't seem interested in working. I've never seen such ignorance and boundless behaviour. Toddlers running unattended in the street after dark. Teenagers encouraged to promulgate crimes by their parents. As soon as I made sufficient profit on the property I left but my impression of black people will likely stay with me forever.

Simply put, they are animals and should not be afforded human rights. They should be required to be registered with the county and wear tags and they should be spayed or neutered in accordance with local laws. A rabies shot would probably be a good idea too. They should be fed and watered from stainless steel bowls on the back porch. A "negro-catcher" should patrol the 'hood in case any are running loose. Stray negros could be kept in the cages at the pound. If nobody claims them they could be put into the little doggy gas chamber (if they will fit).
13-09-2008 01:21 PM
Kathy Burbank, CA
Unregistered

You sound like Adolf Hitler

"Snarky wrote:
Hispanics are not the problem. I lived on the east side for 2-years and almost all of the problems in the 'hood were black folks on Section-8 subsidy.
These awful negros from down below don't seem interested in working. I've never seen such ignorance and boundless behaviour. Toddlers running unattended in the street after dark. Teenagers encouraged to promulgate crimes by their parents. As soon as I made sufficient profit on the property I left but my impression of black people will likely stay with me forever.
Simply put, they are animals and should not be afforded human rights. They should be required to be registered with the county and wear tags and they should be spayed or neutered in accordance with local laws. A rabies shot would probably be a good idea too. They should be fed and watered from stainless steel bowls on the back porch. A "negro-catcher" should patrol the 'hood in case any are running loose. Stray negros could be kept in the cages at the pound. If nobody claims them they could be put into the little doggy gas chamber (if they will fit).
That clear enough for you?"

You sound like Adolf Hitler. By the way, recently I dropped my keys in a grocery store. Several whites and latinos passed by before I could muster the strength to pick them up. A young black kid stooped down, picked them up and handed them back. You don't see a lot of kids (no matter what color they are) with manners. Another situation, five boys were on their bikes blocking a sidewalk. As I walked by, only one kid apologized and moved. He was black and rest of them were white and argued and said they weren't blocking the sidewalk which they were. Who do you think I would want in my neighborhood? Not the brats who argued with an elder.
13-09-2008 01:24 PM
TONE Etters, PA
Unregistered

damn you are disrepectful
"Snarky wrote:
That clear enough for you?"

damn you are disrepectful! this family died over bull and you want to throw racist bullshit in here, black,white,asians, hispanics all have done some terrible things in AV recently stop blaming section 8.I know a lot of upperclass kids out here all races that gangbang, so please respect the dead,be thankful your family did not have to go threw this. I pray for the family and for you, you really need help, God dont like ugly.
13-09-2008 01:26 PM
Apple Valley Resident
Unregistered

I had enough of the gangs
After growing up in the inner city all my life, I had enough of the gangs, and low life's. I wanted better for my kids, and one day on my way to Vegas I saw a sign that said Apple Valley,after driving thru it a couple hours I knew this is where I was going to finish raising my kids. After yrs. of peace and quiet, I have been forced to move out of my quiet zone. I was sick at my stomach every time I went in Ralph's or Walmart and saw the same young blacks' with the pants hanging down, talking ignorant, loud music up and down the street, and the girl's with all the babies, and I do blame it on Section-8 partly, the whites dont too much care who pays their mortgage as long as it evenutally makes a profit for them, so they put they really nice home up for rent to sectiion 8 only, homes that the typical welfare mom could only dream of, but with her comes her teens and all their friends from the hood. I know everyone has a right to live where ever they want, but when u infest a good neighborhood black,white, or hispanic and dont even try to start living better then yes it is a problem.
13-09-2008 01:27 PM
John FU
Unregistered

but it's still a LOSER--Sec 8!
"Lancaster resident wrote:
I just read are local paper, Antelope Valley (AV Press) Press. The Mayor of Lancaster and his legislature are blaming this crime on Section 8.
Also, the names do not appear in the AV Press yet they do appear in your news article.
I do not understand why a mother (victim) would allow an 18 year old to get drunk and obnoxious at her home especially since she had 3 young girls (victims) in the home.
Lancaster once had a Mayor Hearns (African-American preacher) that invited people from Los Angeles to relocate to the Antelope Valley, they came along with their criminal behavior.
Now it is time for Mayor Hearns to speak to all these folks (mostly African-American), and tell them to start to respect our community.
I was once told by a L.A. County Sheriff and Prison guard from the local state prison that
the Antelope Valley was being referred to as "Little Compton", and as I travel about it is so true.
Sad but true far too many thugs have decided to make the Antelope Valley their home. Where are the parents because I see far to many very young people out and about late and way after curfew. Why is the curfew law not being enforced?
Explain what Section 8 has to do with this crime."

You can move the loser to a new location but it's still a LOSER--Sec 8! Responsible people don't take drugs, join gangs, sell drugs, and dump trash--But LOSERS DO! You're rewarded for failure! Free housing, you don't have to work so more time to sell drugs and gang bang! Great job Dumbass Hearns! Leave to the church to say, Oh no, don't abort Loser MOM, keep the baby and you'll be rewarded for being a loser--Sec 8, SSI, etc...Hey, Taxpayers have to shell out the bills to these losers, the church doesn't pay any taxes! I'm sick of the B.S. of the invisible man in the sky and the church encouraging losers not to abort!
13-09-2008 01:29 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
angry.gif Newhall Father Charged With Murder, Sexual Assault Of Newborn Daughter stupid 0 1,281 29-01-2015 05:06 PM
Last Post: stupid
  Hearing in murder-arson postponed for two months shirley 1 5,122 13-12-2010 08:58 PM
Last Post: shirley
  Missing Couple Arrested On Charges Of Child Abuse Pee Wee 0 2,755 17-05-2009 09:55 AM
Last Post: Pee Wee
  Man Arrested On Child Pornography Charges admiral1 0 2,856 03-05-2009 08:31 PM
Last Post: admiral1
  Juries Recommend Death for Couple in Child Torture Case Pee Wee 0 3,361 22-04-2009 02:51 PM
Last Post: Pee Wee
  California man convicted in Alaska of child exploitation charges shirley 0 2,626 26-11-2008 08:52 AM
Last Post: shirley
  Murder charge filed in death of Lancaster newborn Andrew 0 2,222 25-10-2008 07:04 AM
Last Post: Andrew

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread |